[Dailydrool] pancreatitis

LYNN and LINDA FERRELL ldferrell at msn.com
Wed Jan 6 13:35:44 PST 2010

Zoey had her first, nasty pancreatitis attack with no holidays in sight and no unusual food in her system. She had to spend a night in the vetspital and was very sick. We have no idea what triggered it, food-wise. She recovered well and we put her back on regular dog food, though something lower fat than she had been eating (originally Innova). Our vet the Innova was just to rich for her. Within a few months she showed early signs of another attack and with early meds she had a fairly mild bout. The vet said Zoey needed to go on Hills WD, but we were reluctant to go to that particular food. She did some further research and recommended prescription Royal Canin Low Fat Digestive. She has done great on it. That and treats with no more than 5% fat. The sweet potato treats are awesome. If you don't want to make them, we order Cloudstar Farmstand sweet potato slices and Zoey adores them, also Sam's Yams . She also eats veggies and yogurt and pumpkin with no problems. She had a third scare with repeated vomiting that was not pancreatitis but the emergency vet out of town where we were visiting said it could progress to that as stress can be a factor. We highly recommend the Royal Canin food. Zoey used to have discomfort with gas and tummy aches and this has pretty much vanished. It is so much better to prevent this painful disease than to treat it and more economical too. It does seem that once a dog has experienced it they are more susceptible. Best wishes for good health to those hounds who have had the misfortune of the pancreatitis experience!
Lynn, Linda and Zoey