[Dailydrool] Lucy and Basil

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 15:38:51 PST 2010

Melissa:
I know only too well what you are feeling and that yes, Lucy probably
wanted to be with Basil. I went thru this in '08 when I had to lose my best
friend Spanky to an auto immune disease. His buddy Sonny was depressed and
after  a month took him to the vet. Xrays, ultrasound, bloodwork showed nothing.
A  month later, he refused food and as he slept next to me that night I
noticed he  was breathing a little faster than normal. I took him to the vet
the next day  where they palpated a huge mass on his spleen, They rushed him
into surgery and  the growth was so big it took two people to lift it out.
But the cancer was also  in his liver and lungs so I hugged him and let him
join Spanky. My vet said  she had never seen such an aggressive cancer. I
firmly believe that once he  realized Spanky was not coming back, he gave up on
life.
I am reliving those days right now and shedding tears for your loss and
mine. Yes, our dogs love us but sometimes they feel the need to be with their
own. May their spirits return to you in the body of another animal and know
that  they are still with you in your heart.
Kathy with Crackers, Loki and Jordan