[Dailydrool] Opie Update - Thursday Evening

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Jan 7 17:00:33 PST 2010

Opie is doing okay . drinking water and keeping it down, peeing up a storm
but not showing any interest in food.   They tried to feed him some canned
food about noon today . nada; heated some canned food about 2 PM . no way;
called me about 3 PM and updated me and suggested he might need Mom.  So, I
gathered up some delectable goodies and we out there through the snow.  He
perked up when he saw me, I sat with him on the floor, he crawled up in my
lap but wouldn't eat the canned food from my fingers.  So, I pulled out the
big guns . mashed potatoes.  After a little encouragement, he ate about a
tablespoon of mashed potatoes from my fingers, a tiny piece of meatloaf and
a tiny piece of shaved ham.

I took him outside for a little walk . in 4 inches of fresh snow . and he
peed, then starting checking out the parking lot for the van.   After a
little walk in the snow, I made

I dried him off, offered him water and more mashed potatoes, but he was
tired and laid down, all snug and covered up, and went to sleep.

He is still in the "critical care" area (the main treatment room) where he
can watch everything going on and they can watch him.  They plan to keep him
there tonight.  The plan is for them to try to coax him to eat a little more
tonight, then cap of the IV in the morning, and get more aggressive about
getting him to eat tomorrow.  I took mashed potatoes, shaved ham, meatloaf,
and homemade chicken noodle soup and Iams lamb/rice canned food for them to
try with him.  He does not like the I/D - low residue canned food at all.
I will likely go out again in the morning . probably will have to take the
4x4 truck based on the way the snow is falling . and hand feed him to get
him started eating.  If all goes well tomorrow, he will be coming home
tomorrow night.

Thanks for the drool and prayers . he isn't out of the woods yet.

Sandi Wittenberg & The Red Bay Gang

Grady, Hoagie, Johnny, Norm & Opie

sandi at redbaybassets.com