[Dailydrool] A Little Rescue Story

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Thu Jan 7 17:30:17 PST 2010

The week after Christmas and before New Year's Eve, I went to my office at the large academic medical center where I work as a computer analyst and provider-of-much-information. There's a gal who works in the cubicle across from mine who had to send her dear 12-year-old miniature schnauzer to the Rainbow Bridge last fall.  Pam came back after the little Christmas-weekend break and told me that she'd decided to get another Schnauzer, that the holidays had brought to light how much she missed, and needed, her little dog. So, she'd called a couple of Schnauzer breeders, and had left her name on a their waiting lists for a puppy.

I then said the four words that most of you all would say, "Have you considered rescue?" And Pam said, "What are you talking about?" I explained about all the Basset Hound rescues around the country, how they take in dogs in need, find foster homes for many of them, rehab them, take care of their medical issues, and then search for a forever home for them...that it was a win-win most of the time, for the rescue outfit and for the adopter. Together, we found a couple of Schnauzer rescue orgs in our area (Virginia and parts north and south). She applied with the Maryland-Virginia-WashingtonDC organization that day, and got a call about a week later.  As it stands now, Pam will be adopting 2-year-old "Blaine", a female Schnauzer rescued from a puppy-mill, as soon as Blaine is spayed and has her teeth cleaned, in about two weeks. I'll be loaning Pam Frank the Tank's travel crate so she can meet the rescue person in DC and bring Blaine to her new home safely. My prediction is for a happy ending all around -- Pam's vet gave the rescue people a glowing recommendation, and Pam has been smiling so much that her cheeks hurt :)

The reason I'm posting this is to highlight the fact that not everyone knows about these hard-working, avaliable rescue organizations and people. So, if you get the chance, bring it up! You might help a needy Schnauzer / dog / or even a Basset Hound!

Nancy, owned by Uncle Frank the Tank
and Sweet Sarah ATB