[Dailydrool] GGBR Great Basset Rescue - update on Sophee and Isabelle

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 17:49:07 PST 2010

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would update everyone on my 2 fosters from the GGBR Great Basset Rescue.  So one of the first things we did to make them feel welcome was give them new and more fitting names.   Two lovely little basset girls need names that are beautiful and befitting them.  So Peanut, who is by far the tiniest basset I have ever seen (think 4 month old buppy) became Sophee.  Yes we purposely spelled it that way so she would be unique.  Dumplin is now Isabelle which befits such a beautiful girl with long black ears.

Both girls quickly learned that couches and the beds as well as my bed where wonderful perches.  We have gone from little submissive showing of bellies to "oh yes, please give me a belly rub"  Though I still have not gotten kisses I get little snooters that lift my hand wanting loving rubs and pets.  Through watching the gang they now give my upturned bellies in the morning to join in the Good Morning Loving.

Little Sophee is a sweet gal that would much prefer to sit and watch the gangs antic as they just tower over here.  Outside she has taken to running the Basset 100, enticing the gang to run after here.  Still her favorite thing is to set quietly beside me  so she can be loved on.   To see Sophee at dinner time is the sweetest thing.  When I bring out the food and say time to eat she starts bouncing around like a little buppy.  At those moments it is hard to believe that she is actually 7 years old.

Isabelle is really start to break out of her shell the last couple of days.  She has decided that playtime with the gang is the greatest!  I do have to block her out of the bedroom, her favorite spot is my bed or one of the other cushy beds on the floor, to get her to interact more.  Once out of the bedroom she quickly joins in the fun of alligator wrestling then running circles around the dining room to jump right back in the fray.  Though she has been ocassionally been picking up toys, today, for the very first time she went to the toy box and picked out a stuffie of her very own.  My heart lept with joy as she ran around with the ducky in her mouth, shaking her head making sure that ducky knew he was had.

My gang always bring such joy and laughter in my life everyday but watching my new girls start to break out of there shells is a gift and a miracle wrapped up in one.  My Nelly Belle's family, in time, will learn what being basset is all about.  They will know that love means  a soft place to rest, good food, loving touch and sweet kisses.  Most of all these girls and the rest of the 61 bassets will come to learn that we human are really not so bad to own.

I am so lucky to be blessed by Sophee and Isabelle's presence in my home.  I know that they still have far to go but I only have to look at my Nelly Belle to see into their future.  The future has gone from dismal existence to one brightly filled with love.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang