[Dailydrool] Breeding Bassets

Brenda Weddle bweddlern at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 05:02:20 PST 2010

Nancy,

My advice to you is please don't. Having a handsome, sweet Basset boy is not a good reason to breed him. It is hard work for the breeders, the dogs, and as Sandi pointed out, there is a lot of hardwork and heart break involved. I used to breed Standard Dachshunds under the tutelage of an experienced breeder who showed her dogs to their Championship. The dogs were all AKC registered and of extremely high quality. If you thing there is money to be made breeding dogs, please reconsider. You will be lucky to break even if you do it right and that is the only way to do it - the right way. Far better and healthier for your boy to have him neutered and avoid a lot of health problems down the road. My husband and I take in unwanted animals (up to 12 dogs, 2 cats, 11 horses and 3 donkeys, one of whom is pregnant. She was already pregnant when we rescued her). All of our mature male horses and donkey have been gelded, all our cats and dogs are spayed and neutered. There are far too many unwanted animals in the world to bring in any more. When we want a baby horse, we adopt a PMU foal (premarin industry). We take in the ones already born that have been thrown away. Please do not contribute to overpopulation just becasue you have a handsome hound.

Just my opinion.

Brenda and the Thundering Herd of Dog Woods Farm (64 acres and all animals vetted, fed well and cared for well).