[Dailydrool] Breeding

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 14:11:10 PST 2010

> Even very nice people who wnat a puppy and seem to love the puppy
> sometimes get worn out with it after a few weeeks and start looking
> for shelters to take them in.

This is how our young Charlie wound up in the rescue system. His
first family bought him as a puppy from a breeder (judging from his
unhealthy conformation, breeding for structural integrity was this
breeder's last priority). They wanted, in their words, a "docile
dog." So why they chose a puppy, I don't know. The only docile puppy
I know is a sick puppy.

This family really wanted Charlie and loved him, but he was a right
little handful as a puppy. His normal puppy behavior was exacerbated
by being left in a crate for hours on end and then not being given
attention and play when his family was home. He learned early that
misbehaving would get him attention, and negative attention is better
than no attention at all.

Finally, the husband had enough of the disruption and destructiveness
of an unhappy puppy (the last straw was when Charlie hopped up on
their bed and peed on the new Ralph Lauren comforter) and told his
wife that if she couldn't find another home for Charlie, then he was
going to take the puppy to animal control, our city's kill shelter.

Fortunately, the wife and my friend Jennifer work in the same place,
and Jennifer heard about it and got the wife connected with Bluegrass
Basset Rescue and me. Ken and I fostered young Charlie until we
failed at it and had to adopt him. Despite his naughtiness, he fit in
well with our family, and I hated the idea of separating him from our
Elsinore, with whom he bonded quickly. Especially after having
watched him spend a heartbreaking week actively grieving for his
first family. I didn't want any more grief in his life than
necessary. He has a lighthearted spirit, but his happiness is easily
crushed, so I guard it carefully.

We took Charlie in at the age of 11 months. He was (and still is at
age four) very puppy. He was destructive and very active
all...day...long. For six months I had to keep him in the same room
as I to minimize the damage he was doing while I was trying to work.
I was constantly taking things out of his mouth and telling him what
not to do. He never took naps. From the moment he woke up in the
morning until bedtime that night he was all play and look for things
to do, without ceasing. Some days the only thing that kept him from
being murdered in cold blood with yet another cherished item in his
mouth was just how darned cute he looked and how sweet and soft and
warm he was when he was falling asleep in my arms after dinner. Much
of what I read on the Drool of Conley's activities is familiar stuff,
only young Charlie doesn't have as much dexterity, thank goodness.

It's really funny reading about puppy misbehavior when it's someone
else's puppy and written as well as Conley's reported activities are.
But it's quite another to live with that kind of puppy nonsense for
the two or more years it takes a puppy to stop thinking of everything
as a game or a toy. A lot of people don't have what it takes to deal
with a puppy, and too many of those young souls aren't as lucky as
Charlie was to get into a rescue system and find a home that can
appreciate them in spite of their busy, exhausting puppy ways.

Speaking of which, I hear a magazine being cheerfully torn up in the
other room. Time to go get a treat and play Trading Post again with
my eternal buppy. I swear, young Charlie's the last, the absolute
last buppy I'll ever have!

Elizabeth