[Dailydrool] breeding bassets

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 18:22:11 PST 2010

Saraberry:  Amazingly, for once I find myself in agreement with almost
everything you wrote except.

I disagree that someone considering a Basset should foster first. The reason
is that these dogs come, often, out of bad or terrible circumstances, or
have been traumatized by a sudden shift in their lives- the death of an
owner, being given up, getting lost, being abandoned. As such, they often
come to the foster home with a bunch of baggage, about which Rescue, despite
it's very best efforts, may know nothing. People getting rid of dogs lie
about the reasons. They lie about themselves, they lie about the dog. Not
everyone, of course, but enough to make it touchy sometimes.

So you do not give a first time owner a dog who may be terrified of men, or
afraid of brooms, or who has never been properly housebroken. No matter how
hard the Rescue tries to put the right dog in the right home, foster homes
are temporary by definition. It is the job of the foster home to learn about
the dog and help the dog adjust to new circumstances.

I personally do not think this is the way to learn about a new breed. I
would rather talk to and meet people with happy, well-adjusted dogs so that
I can see what my dog SHOULD be like, and so that I understand what the
breed IS like, before I commit to it.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper