[Dailydrool] breeding bassets

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 07:41:52 PST 2010

I agree with Momperson about fostering.

Rescue bassets often times come into rescue with baggage.  Some have more
baggage than others.  Imagine spending your entire life with a family to one
day finding yourself in a new place with strangers and unfamiliar dogs.
Then add the possibility of abuse, neglect, medical issues, etc.  It's
heartbreaking when a foster is afraid when you try to pet them or raise your
voice slightly.  It's the foster homes that work with a rescued basset to
overcome these issues.  Some bassets will overcome these issues; some not.

To any first time basset owner, I would recommend adopting from a basset
rescue.  A basset rescue can be a wealth of information.  I've had a few
people decide that bassets probably wouldn't work for them at this stage of
their life.  I tell them all the negatives first and then I go onto the long
list of good basset things.  I get some interesting responses when I tell
people that bassets can reach a counter and they are not all couch
potatoes.  Oh I had one woman that told me she could not have any animal
that would drool because she has people who visit her home.  A foster home
can discuss a particular basset's personality, behavior, etc. with you since
the dog has been living with them.

As I've experienced firsthand myself recently, don't let your experience
with one rescue taint your view of all rescues.  They are not all the same.
I contacted a lab rescue recently and was taken back by the response I
received from them. If that was my first contact with any rescue, it might
have been my last.

Jan
Lady & Grace