[Dailydrool] breeding bassets

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:35:44 PST 2010

If no one bred basset hounds the breed would die out.  What we need is responsible breeding.  There must be some way to stop puppy mills who are producing far too many dogs with little concern for the standards of the breed much less the health of the individual dog.  Perhaps a limit on how many breeding females can be kept per kennel?  If a clear connection is made to our elected officials that collection and killing off the unwanted product of the commercial enterprises is costing the public more than fees collected,  the worst fo these puppy mills would be closed down.  We all saw what happened to the banking industry without regulation.   Perhaps regulations for dog and cat breeding should be overhauled.  Free spay and neuter clinics should be funded  in both rural and urban areas.  There are a kit of very cute mixes that are not going anywhere in shelters and animal control mmost the reslut of woners who let their fertile little fenmale wander about and are surprised to find she has puppies.  A lot of education is needed.  With so many purebed bassets about the mixes have little chance of finding a home.  A browsw through petfinder saddens the heart.  So many lab mixes, America's favorite dog is most abundant in shelters all over and I am sure are killed in large numbers as people do not think that the cute puppy need manners taught early as it will get big and playful and needs your time.S good deal of education over the media needs to be aimed at kids so they will grow up thinking spay and neutering in what a pet owner is supposed to do.  Just like getting shots.Those ads need to go with programing other than animal shows, get it in with the soaps, the Maury P show etc. (Wher some of the guest would benefit from spay and neuter info for themselves)  Sue K