[Dailydrool] breeding behavior

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 06:48:04 PST 2010

I am quite sure that every male dog I know that has been bred has changed
behaviors, but not necessary  :"for the worse": it depends on how you define
behavior and what you expect from your dog.

Dogs that are consistently bred in one place-- say a breeding room, with
mats and other safety features-- are certainly going to remember what that
room is for, and his behavior will be different in that room than another
room.
Because we did a great deal of A/I breeding at the clinic, we had males come
in who could hardly wait to get in back.

Stallions being walked to the breeding sheds are virtually unmanageable.
They know what the deal is, they're not stupid.

Breed your male a couple of times at a dog show and expect to have a very
excitable male at the next few shows. My personal experience was that my
stud dog became much more relaxed, because he was able to determine whether
a bitch was ready or not, and he also was able to tell the difference
between anal gland excretions and a bitch in season-- something my virgin
males cannot do. There were some other changes-- he became more confident,
less aggressive. He smiled a lot.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper. Mitchell ATB who taught me
about breeding dogs.