[Dailydrool] Breeder-Basset Rescue and Droolers

Nancy Sevenpifer nancy7pifer at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 09:45:01 PST 2010

Hi,

My question about how to breed Basset Hounds has stirred up quite a conversation between Breeders, Basset Rescuers,

and Droolers.  I think its wonderful for everyone to have their say and no one seems to take offense.  Many times issues

are resolved by discussion and this is more of what we need.  The roles of Breeders and Rescuers are different and  both

are appreciated for their work.  Rescue is NOT easy  as I understand it, and after reading Sandi's account of taking care

of pups that's not easy either.   I never wanted to be a Breeder, I just was asked if my Male was available...

I just didn't know what it all involved to be honest with you.  I've never owned a Basset before and never

knew anything about them...only that when I was growing up I would see their faces on "Hush Puppy" shoe boxes.  I never

realized how they drool, smell, walk, talk, relax, play, EAT, sleep or any of their aliments.  I am learning that the Basset

Rescue have many hounds because when people buy them they are not aware of their traits or behaviours which are really

normal.  I know I was shocked at the constant starring and wanting food all the time!  Its like a full time job.  My hound

will do tricks galore, BUT only for treats.  If I have a milk bone, he will do anything and I mean anything.  They are

wonderful, delightful, comical dogs with intelligence.  Many people have asked me how dumb is he?  WHAT???? they

just don't understand or know about the Breed.  I think when people want to buy a Basset the most powerful tool they

can have is EDUCATION...I know that now.

Drool to All (now I know what that means)