[Dailydrool] Rescue vs. Breeder

Deb Good dlgood66 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 12 12:51:30 PST 2010

I've been kind of lurking the last few months, but did want to make a comment on this issue.  First, "Kudos" to Sandi and others who have remarked on the difficulties and potential heartache that responsible breeders go thru.  Sean and Ana's breeder has become a very good friend of mine over the last few years and I know from some conversations that we've had everything and then some that Sandi and others have said is 100% true!

As for asking your vet about wether or not your dog is a good example of the Basset breed is not always the best idea unless of course, your vet is a Basset breeder.  I love my vets.  (There are 5 in the practice, we've seen them all over the years and they're all fantastic), the thing is, they can diagnose a medical issue like nobody's business, but probably don't have the breed standard of every dog breed memorized.  Asking the vet to run the necessary tests and interpret them for you to determine if your dog is healthy enough to breed is a good idea!

I always have trouble with the rescue vs. breeder thing.  Why does it have to be one vs. the other?  Most responsible breeders are also involved in rescue.  Responsible breeders and rescue folks have one thing in common: love of the breed.  Why can't we put that out there as a stepping stone to bridge the gap and move forward to educate people about these wonderful, clownish, hair-graying critters we all live with?

Deb-who lives with 2 "show" dogs and volunteers with Basset Rescue