[Dailydrool] Breeding bassets

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Wed Jan 13 16:15:40 PST 2010

Cathy Blatz wrote: "I can understand Rescue operations expecting breeders to take back their own puppies but I would like to see rescue organizations do more education on responsible pet ownership, too.    It would be nice to see rescue organizations do more to help at-risk owners.   I've read where someone can't afford an operation for their dog so rescue takes the animal, fixes it, and rehomes the dog.  Wouldn't it be easier (and kinder) to help the owners with the bills that would allow them to keep their dog.    I'd like to see Rescue Organizations sponsor free Spay/ Neuter clinics for owners who can't afford the $200 plus to get the surgery on their own."

Cathy, I believe that the responsible rescues do try educate people on responsible pet ownership.  While I understand your desire to see Rescues sponsor spay/neuter clinics as well as paying for operations so an owner can keep their pet all monies they receive are through the generosity of others.  They are not funded by the city, county or state with an allotted budget each year.  In this economy those donations are even more limited and so any funds they have (IMO) needs to go to save that next basset and care for the ones that are long term fosters due to medical issues.  I am sure that many rescues would love to have the funds to pay for needed surgery or sponsor S/N clinic but sadly the funds are just not there.   I know that if there is a basset in need of surgery many rescues will work with the family to find alternatives be it credit, grants from different organizations, discounts and even ask for donations from their members.

On the flip side you also have those people that believe it is the dog's right to procreate and S/N is multilation.  Then there are those that no amount of education will change their minds and so the pups keep coming 1-2 times a year until the bitch is completely worn out or dies.  I have a man up the road like this and even offers to pay for the spay were turned down.  Take one guess where these pups end up.

Think about  GGBR's 61 basset rescue in December.  Should we have helped this person keep those neglected bassets because she "loved" them?  Are we helping the bassets?  Oh yes and at a  great expense.  The adoption fees will come no where even close to covering the S/N, dentals (every one of them needs a dental including the 6 month old buppies) and the different other surgeries that are needed.  Then add in the cost of microchipping, vaccines, treatments for giardia/coccidiosis, heartworm testing, blood work, worming etc. and the costs just keep skyrocketing.  These people keep all the younger pups to sell which in reality would have been the ones requiring the least expense to GGBR.  Those pups adoption fees could have helped to cover more of the older bassets medical needs. The cost of these bassets are on an average, $600-$800 per basset.

I want you to know that not all vets donate their services in fact many don't because of the economy.  Some may discount the prices but nothing says they have to and these bassets still have to be taken care of so they will hopefully be in their Furever Homes.

You should also know that the volunteers that work with the rescues many times provide a lot of the basic necessities such as food, worming medications and even heartworm meds at their own expense.  Even more than that the volunteers spend enormous amounts of time with these bassets trying to undo some of the damage that has been done by others.  They have to gain these bassets trust which is not always an easy thing to do because they were never socialized or given a reason to trust humans.   They show them that love doesn't hurt, that a belly rub is a good thing, that a foot rub doesn't mean they are going to be kicked.  We try to teach these bassets how to live in a home, how to accept and give love.

You don't have to be responsible for all the "other" dogs but I thank God everyday that there are those that do.   Without these wonderful people and there loving hearts so many of the breed we love would be euthanized without ever knowing what love and being a basset truly means.

The rewards the volunteers receive are gifts that we treasure.  Every step forward that these bassets make is celebrated.  There is a tremendous thrill when you see a basset play for the very first time, that first little wag of the tail or that fully upturned belly waiting to be rubbed.   I can tell you that the joy I felt the first time Sophee met me at the door with the rest of the gang, bouncing like a little buppy, was immense.  I know when my two girls find there "Furever Homes" I will feel a sense of sadness  but there will be a sense of pride and accomplishment that I was able to give of myself freely so they have new lives filled with love.   They will go, hopefully knowing that I love them, that my love will follow them throughout their lives and that they will always have a special place in my heart.

So for all those that give so freely of themselves to help our beloved bassets know that I thank you, I appreciate you, I value you and we love you.

I will get off my soapbox now.
Droolz to all in need,
Karen and The Dog House Gang