[Dailydrool] Rescue Groups & Owner's Vet Bills

Shelly Gordon-ABC Basset Rescue merchandise at nybasset.org
Wed Jan 13 16:16:56 PST 2010

I too would like to comment on Cathy Blatz's post regarding rescue groups helping owners with vet bills. According to ABC BHR's by-laws, and I'm sure many other rescue groups, our mission statement is to help "homeless" bassets. We are not in the business of paying for vet bills for owners that can't (or don't want to) pay. We are not a benevolent organization, we are a rescue. I suppose if you open that can of worms, where does it stop? Do you pay for chemo-therapy? Teeth cleanings? Who qualifies? Low income? Who is low income? We've had our share of folks looking for help with vet bills. The answer is always "no".

Several years ago, we had a woman who purchased a puppy at a pet store for $1,000. He was in extreme pain and needed bone surgery on his front legs costing approx $5,000. She wanted to relinquish the dog, have us pay for the surgery, then adopt the dog back to her. Nope, sorry. We ended up transporting the dog to IL for the surgery for much less. Buckley was then adopted by a family who volunteers for us.

And as far as offering a low-cost spaying and neutering clinic...my thoughts are this...if you can afford to purchase a puppy, be prepared to pay for the vet bills, including spay/neutering. Perhaps the vets should offer low cost spay/neuter, here in NY they can cost between $300-$400. ABC BHR fundraises all year long between waddles, picnics, our auction and The Slobber Shoppe. We don't do all this work to pay for personal pet's vet bills. If we did, I'd be first in line!!

Shelly Gordon
ABC Basset Hound Rescue
www.nybasset.org
merchandise at nybasset.org