[Dailydrool] rescues and altering/pet ownership

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 04:10:38 PST 2010

I would like to comment on the suggestion that rescues help owners alter
their own animals and return them. Specifically, ABC Rescue. I would like to
point out that there are programs in NY State for those that are of low
finances and programs for those that aren't of low finances that can have
their pets, specifically bassets here, altered at a low cost.  I only
comment on ABC Rescue as I live in NY State and know of these programs.  ABC
helps homeless bassets as have been stated before and that is why people
donate. There might not be as many donations if donaters knew some of their
money was going to other owners pets. What I am trying to say is it
shouldn't be rescues job when there are other programs available that are
advertised and one could just contact their local SPCA to ask about low cost
spay/neuter programs.

Rescues do help encourage good pet ownership also. I know that ABC's
relinquishment intake coordinator tries to work with owners. ABC offers help
through getting the information from whomever to give to the owner to help
them out if they are having a behavioral issue, even has helped them try to
find them a dog friendly place to live before, and just doesn't
automatically "take in" the basset--they work with those who really don't
want to give up their basset, etc.  I know that ABC has gone above and
beyond in some strange situations to help owners so that they didn't have to
relinquish their basset.  I know from being a volunteer that ABC is more
than an intake, give shots/alter and adopt back out rescue. When a basset is
adopted out they also go home with a packet of information on what it means
to be a good basset owner and other various sets of papers. There is also
websites set up for foster families to access different areas
of professionally written articles on things that may come up.  There is
NYBASSET which is a yahoo groups that any basset owner can join to ask
questions or discuss bassets, there is a foster group that is a yahoo groups
to communicate, there is a coordinators yahoo group, etc. ABC is an educated
rescue and they do pass on this information to owners that really don't want
to relinquish (and will listen and put into effect the suggestions that
rescue has given them), but think they have no other choice and to those
that adopt from them. There is not a profit to be made as has been stated
before such as has been stated about reputable breeders.  ABC also sets up
booths in Auburn, Hilton, etc. throughout the year with various packets on
information that just doesn't include adopting and fostering. ABC probably
isn't the only rescue that does various things such as these, but they are
too busy with the day to day activities of running the rescue to post. I was
once the foster coordinator and on the board of directors and asked to step
back by my choice due to health and time constraints so that is how I know
how ABC works. I have also been a foster home to around 10 bassets and
helped on transports including the Arkansas 11. No disrespect, but just
stating the facts and standing up for what I believe in. Thank you.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,