[Dailydrool] The dreaded ear cleaning reply

Jessica jessica.spear at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 06:11:54 PST 2010

I believe ear cleaning is VERY important on a weekly basis.  One of my bassets has much bigger ears than the other and is more prone to infection, but they both have to "suck it up" for a weekly cleaning.  They are both handsomely rewarded for their cooperation at the end, so they seem to deal..

Although I personally have never tried it, I heard of a tactic used by some to deal with nail clipping and I think it may be helpful to you.  Cheese whiz.  Have one person clean the ears while the other dispenses Cheese whiz for the dog to eat.  I would also recommend doing something like giving her a Kong filled with peanut butter to lick out during the cleaning.  She'll associate the good food with the ear cleaning and it may be more tolerable.

Hope this helps!