[Dailydrool] Thanks, Justin

saba2r at aol.com saba2r at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 10:47:03 PST 2010

Thank you, Justin, for your informative explanation of the gate system
at your house.
I wanted to have the full effect of the stunning tableau which played
out there.
All bassets should live in such a set-up, although we see that none is
fool-proof!
It makes me think of the back doors on my house.  There are old,
two-story city houses that we like to call "immigrant" houses because
vast numbers of people coming to America lived in them, particularly
early in the last century.  Many of them housed two separate familes,
one up and one down.  Therefore, each floor has an inside door at the
kitchen which opens onto either the landing for the first floor, or
steps going down for the second floor.  There is then a door leading to
the outside.  To the amusement of all, we refer to this as the "air
lock".  It helps tremendously with preventing the escape of children,
both human and animal.  All comers to the house are quickly instructed
that only one door may be open at a time.  A few years ago, a handyman
putting in new windows decided it would be easier to leave both doors
open with his van parked at the outer door.  After recovering from our
mutual faints, hubby and I informed him he would be spending however it
long it took to chase down a hound dog, probably with his mutt sister
in tow.  He never made that mistake again.  (In similar situations my
nephew is fond of solemnly intoning, "People have died for less", to
the uninitiated).

Becca
www.dogster.com/dogs/600703