[Dailydrool] Foster Homes

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Fri Jan 15 07:03:30 PST 2010

Utah Friends of Basset Hounds is always in need of more foster homes. We did do something that worked
out pretty well recently. We were boarding about a dozen bassets due to lack of foster homes. Since we get a discounted rate, we had to have all the dogs out of the kennel to make room for full paying customers during Thanksgiving and Christmas. We asked families to take a "Hound for the Holidays". I think the fact it was "temporary" and didn't seem like a long term commitment helped, but we had many people step up. The great result was--a lot of the families who took dogs over Christmas kept them as fosters. We even had a family who had never fostered before take a bonded pair. Needless to say, we are thrilled. We are also starting an Old Hound's Home/Assisted Basset Living program. Hounds over 11 or special needs go to a permanent foster family and will remain with them until they leave for the Bridge. UFBH pays veterinary costs. We are also offering to provide food, nail trims, baths, and vet transport, if needed. We are hoping to place some of the older dogs with seniors who don't feel they can afford a dog but would love the companionship. Will let you know how that works out. --
Marilyn Briggs