[Dailydrool] MERRICK RECALL Salmonella: Beef Filet Squares treats

Kathleen Jones klj at efn.org
Fri Jan 15 08:32:48 PST 2010

Just saw this.  We like Merrick.   They're supposed to be the safe, good
guys.  I'm disappointed  with the "faulty packaging & manufacturing
processes" part , esp. at what we pay for that stuff.   Drat. Off to make
more dried yams, I guess, & maybe boil a beef heart & make our own squares.

Kathleen & Maestro (Just don't recall my bully sticks!)

---------
The Food and Drug administration has warned owners not buy Merrick Beef
Filet Squares after tests turned up positive for salmonella, which can
sicken both people and pets.

The agency, which took the unusual step of issuing a recall notice itself
rather than relying on the company, said the potentially contaminated treats
were sold nationwide by Merrick Pet Care, based in Amarillo, Texas. The
suspect squares are marked "Best By 111911."  No known illnesses have been
reported.

The FDA said routine testing turned up salmonella in December. A follow-up
inspection of the company's plant found faulty packaging and manufacturing
processes.

The FDA said consumers should wash their hands having contact with the
treats and to throw them way in a covered trash bin.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm197700.htm