[Dailydrool] nail cutting, anal glands

DIERKER j.mdierker at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 15 12:57:04 PST 2010

I have been very fortunate that the dogs in my life let me cut their nails.They never would sit still for a dremel because of the sound of a motor and the vibration against their nail.I don't like the guillotine  cutter,I like the scissor type that have a guard on them.One of my bassets,Baxter who is now at the bridge where toe bones don't grow,would get very upset UNLESS you covered his eyes with his ear.A towel didn't work,your hand wouldn't work,only draping his ear over his eyes.It worked at home and at the vet.Then he'd lay there like a perfect angel,but you better not forget his treat at the end.I miss him so much.

As for anal glands,they can be tricky. I would suggest asking your vet to show you how to empty them.I've had dogs that this could be done on,but my Yogi has "difficult anal glands" and they tell me not to even try,Since I work for them I'm very fortunate to have this as a fringe benefit.It's definitely important to keep on top of it.If you see scooting,they could need emptying.I had one dog a long time ago who had one abscess through to the outside.I was so young I didn't know what I should have been watching for.The only bright side to that experience was that the gland got scar tissue and never filled up again.One more warning,if you do try doing them yourself,they can shoot anywhere so don't stand next to the nice wallpaper!And a little doggy cologne isn't a bad idea either.
Janet, Yogi,Carlie Jane, and Bunny (I don't any black nails!)