[Dailydrool] Puppy and Rescue

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Fri Jan 15 14:52:02 PST 2010

We bought our first two bassets as puppies from a breeder, 3 months apart.  We decided that we needed a third one and thought a senior rescue would be wonderful.  So now we have 3.  Last week, my husband and I took the dogs to our "old" neighborhood.  We only lived there 6 months, renting, while our house was built.  It was one of those developments that didn't get very far with the economic downturn making it a great place to walk the dogs.  When we pulled up and let the dogs out, a policeman drove up.  He immediately recognized us, or rather the bassets.  He told us that someone dumped 3 dogs in that very spot the week before.  They were able to round up 2 of them, but the third, a puppy, was still out there.  The good news is they caught the culprits.  Hanging isn't enough as far as I'm concerned.  I was very glad to see that the police department was watching for this type of behavior.   This morning, while at the vet, a woman ran in to see if they had a spare lead and collar.  She said a puppy was under the porch of her office, quivering.  I sure hope it was the missing little guy.  What a nice person to go out of her way to find a way to bring him to safety. I wouldn't trade our "pups" for the world, but, seeing all these poor dogs, bassets and others, left to fend for themselves, or worse abused, it will be rescues for us from now on.  Of course, there is the side benefit - no puppy teeth on my shoes!