[Dailydrool] Annie update

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Fri Jan 15 16:03:47 PST 2010

Annie's leg wasn't getting better, and she seemed more reluctant to put weight on it, so off to the vet we went yesterday morning.  Fred was trying to jump into the car, and Annie was trying to run out of the garage and back into the kitchen.  I tried to explain to Fred that we were NOT going to camp, but he didn't seem to get it.  Anyway, I eventually got Annie in, held her back so I could shut the door (she was trying to jump back out), got Fred inside, and we were on our way.  I was happy that we got to see Dr. Newman (my favorite.)  She wiggled all of Annie's toes, bent her ankle around, felt down her spine (she was laughing trying to feel her spine under all of her extra skin) and moved her neck around. She was convinced that it was nothing more than a sprain and didn't even think that xrays were necessary at this point (it's one of the reasons I love her...she only does tests that she feels are absolutely necessary!)  Annie is now on some pain medicine and already seems better.  That's the good news...the bad news, she has to lose 10 lbs!!  Apparently in 2008 she weighed 56 lbs (although I never remember her being that thin), and she now weighs 67.  I asked Dr. Newman how much weight she should lose and she said, "Well, I don't have a picture of what she looked like at 56 lbs, but there is no note in her chart that she was emaciated..."  Point taken!  When I got home I took a look at Fred and thought he could probably stand to lose maybe 5 lbs too, so I'm cutting back their food as Dr. Newman suggested, and we'll see how it goes.

When Annie was being examined, the vet tech said, "I love her heart."  At first I thought she meant that Annie is such a sweet girl (which she is), but then I realized that she meant her marking...I had never noticed until a friend saw a picture of her and pointed it out to me...Annie has a large, heart-shaped marking on her right side.  I love it, and think it is so fitting that my Angel-girl has this on her...she certainly has my heart :)

Rose, Annie (I'm on a diet...not fair!) and Fred (why am I on a diet?  I didn't even get weighed!!)