[Dailydrool] Grieving

Peggy Chudd pegchudd at mac.com
Sat Jan 16 06:36:56 PST 2010

I think the process is different for each hound, much like it is for
people.

Just before our Linzee died, Beatrice (who never much cared at all
for Linny) actually cuddled with her for a few days before she left
for the Bridge.  Beatrice had been with us over a year and a half at
that time, and had never shown any interest in any of our other
bassets.  Beezz may have even known before we did how close Linzee
was to passing.

Grace, on the other hand quite enjoys the company of other dogs and
more often that not kisses her therapy dogs friends after only one
meeting.  She would have nothing to do with Waldo, Linzee or any of
our foster dogs before or immediately after their little souls left us.

I truly believe that it does make a difference if they're able to be
present when others pass on or that they are given the opportunity to
sniff the body, weather they actually choose to or not.

It's all a process, and I think they know at some level what's going
on.  For sure they know how very sad we are.

Peggy Chudd
Utah Friends of Basset Hounds
www.ufbh.org
& Intermountain Therapy Animals