[Dailydrool] Maddie loosing fur

K&B Ferris ferris at telus.net
Sun Jan 17 10:44:59 PST 2010

We noticed Maddie (almost 9 years old) shedding profusely in the spring.  I brushed her with the zoom groom and fulminator weekly
getting enough fur to fill a small pillow each time.

By the end of July we took her in to see the vet; a blood test was run and nothing looked amiss.  We started her on a fish oil
supplement twice a day in addition to her Wellness white fish & potato canned food and First Mate fish a potato trim and lite dry
food (we have not changed her diet for years).  She is also on Metacam for her stiff old joints.

Our other Bassett Buster (same age) is on exactly the same diet and has a beautiful coat although they have always had very
different coats; Buster has a layer of hair and Maddie has fur with an outer layer of hair.

By the end of August, Maddie only has her fuzzy fur left (tons of it) and is still shedding like crazy.  Her colouring has changed
significantly, she is much lighter as most of her black hair is gone.

I did some research on Cushing's disease and it doesn't sound like that could be what is ailing her, she is pretty happy and healthy
with a good appetite, she's just a little slower and not so interested in playing with Norman (the 3 year old Kitty Cat) than she
used to be.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of hair loss with their bassets?

Kind regards, Barbara Kevin Buster Maddie & Norman