[Dailydrool] AZBHR takes in Basset stray who someone abused with what looks like branding iron to her

bassetsdrool bassetsdrool at cox.net
Thu Jan 21 08:32:44 PST 2010

Just one look at these pictures http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=146205
<http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=146205&id=690906173&l=28b664bd74>
&id=690906173&l=28b664bd74  will explain why Stephanie is asking for a
little help.  Have you ever seen anything like this?  We certainly hadn't,
and neither had Stephanie's doctors.  Their best guess is that someone took
a branding iron to little Stephanie not just once, but twice - plus she has
some other less extensive burns behind her ear.

At 5:01 one evening AZBHR got a call from Pima Animal Control -  Stephanie's
mandatory 72 hour hold had expired at 5pm and they wanted to know if we
could come and get her.  Heck yes we could and did!  She went straight to
our great vets at VCA in Tucson and was made comfortable and readied for
surgery the next day.  Stephanie had to undergo extensive surgery to clean
up those wounds and cut out all the dead skin and infected tissue, and then
be sewn back together - thank goodness for that extra basset skin!

You might think that after such abuse, and having roamed the streets for
goodness knows how long that Stephanie would be skittish and untrusting, but
in spite of all she's been through she is the sweetest, friendliest, most
playful girl you could imagine.  She is estimated to be 18 months old, and
she has now had all her shots, is microchipped and spayed, and in a couple
of weeks after recovering from surgery she will be looking for her forever
home.

Meanwhile, if you would like to make any financial contributions to the cost
of her medical care she would be very happy to hear from you.  We'll keep
you posted on her progress.

Mail donations to:  AZBHR c/o Stephanie the Basset Fund, P O Box 32594,
Phoenix AZ 85064 or donate via paypal at www.azbassetrescue.com or
www.firstgiving.com/stephaniesfund

Thank you to Robin Martin, Lynda Seal and Stephanie's new foster home Nick &
Helen for helping to save this girl - I don't know what I or the hounds
would do without great volunteers like you!

Love that Drool,

Kim A. Bruck, President & Basset Ball Coordinator, Arizona Basset Hound
Rescue