[Dailydrool] Spencer on Prozac

Vikki Kiehl vkiehl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 20:17:42 PST 2010

Spencer bit me.  He cornered Hal & I in the bedroom.  We had our backs to
him.  I slid my hand down Hal's back to pick him up & get him to safety.
Spencer grabbed my arm & chomped.  Chomp, chomp, chomp.  (He's 82 lbs) It
was the worst he's ever gotten me.  I was sure this time he'd broken the
skin.  Luckily he didn't, but it was the worst bruising I've had from him.
This was the first time since I got him from rescue (1 1/2 years ago) that I
doubted my ability to help this dog.  We've been working with our vet & a
behavior consultant.  Doing clicker training, positive reinforcement, herbal
anti-anxiety...  All I could do was cry.
Spencer is now on Prozac.  Its been about 2 weeks since the bite.  Now he's
not stressing over food preparation. He's playing with Hal & Sara... & he's
instigating it.  He's not guarding the bedding, not being grumpy.  We've hit
a milestone.  FINALLY... he hasn't guarded or had to leave the kitchen at
meal prep time... we've managed this for 3 days now.  That's 6 meals!  We've
also been doing more intense "happy clicker time".
He'll still require alot of work.  He really has come a very long way since
I first adopted him.  I can treat his ears, eyes, toenails.  I can bathe him
& check his anal glands.  He'll even let me take plastic bags away because
he know's I'll "trade" him for something yummy.  He used to growl if you
looked at him too long.  Touching his collar was a trigger & he'd bite.  ( I
could go on, but I won't bore you!)  Prozac is another tool I can use to
help him.  And I've used it as a last resort.  He may not always be on it,
but for now life is good for all of us.
I haven't been able to check the DD because I've really been focused on
this, sorry if I missed anything!
vikki
spencer/cujo, sara sue, hal e bear
sebastian atb, natasha atb