[Dailydrool] Spencer on Prozac

Charlie Meyer charlie at droolassicpark.com
Fri Jan 22 08:36:35 PST 2010

My burn baby, Piglet OEBE had extensive burns from a house fire
(Thanks, Droolers!) almost two years ago.  Her burn injuries healed
except for a small (> 0.5%) raw sliver which she would lick.  Doc
waved a small bottle of Clomicalm at me to try and correct the last
bit of licking to let the last sliver of burn injury heal.  Normally,
as a science-challenged person, I accept my Vet's word as holy writ,
as it always worked before.  This time, recognizing it as doggie
clomipramine (Anafranil), a tricyclic antidepressant of nearly a half-
century's usage in two-leggers, this time written for Obsessive-
Compulsive Disorders in pooches, I was able to turn to Doc and reply:
"Doc, that's a tricyclic. Welcome to the wonderful world of
psychotrophics!"  We both knew that the vet had the science of
pharmacology, and I only had the frustrations and wallet-lightening of
"seat of the pants" visceral "experience." Alas, our pals in BigPharm
found a new use for an old drug...and bingo!, back under patent for
more fat profits! BigPharm seems unable to comprehend that the
Constitutional "limited time" restriction on the patent protection
Gravy Train; not only for us two-leggers, now they're rooting in
Fido's bowl. (Yes, YourzTruly is a liberal newspaper columnist in
addition to managing a saloon aka: "Wildlife Management").  I did
convince Doc to write a script for the generic two-legger version, not
only to save money, but the idea of a TCA in a tasty faux beef flavor
was troubling.  Tricyclics have a narrower dosage band between what
dose is needed to effect relief and what becomes a potential fatal
overdose.  Clomipramine didn't work for Piglet (I don't know if being
OEBE mattered.)  The old-fashioned satellite dish collar and paying
closer attention was ultimately used, albeit a pain in the backside.
I am not critical of my Vet; I did tell my physician that she just had
to be as good as my veterinarian.  She did look at my patient
information to see that I was a native of New York: wiseguy.  I'm not
of the sort to have a malpractice attorney on speed dial; just be
smart and make your best attempt in treating man and beast. It's
scientific knowledge and clinical experience I just don't have.

Prozac, having a profitable run under patent, is now approved for
doggies ("KaChing!" from Eli Lilly's corporate cash register).  There
is a caveat, for those who haven't had the care of a Psychiatrist:
Unlike Rimadyl for Fido, or aspirin for us two-leggers, not every
antidepressant works for every patient, man or beast. There is a
process of playing with agents and dosages to find what works. Being a
wiseguy, I figured there was a dart board approach to writing
prescriptions of this type, an insinuation which the psychiatrists
dislike as much as "I'd rather see my Veterinarian!" SSRIs, such as
Prozac and SSNIs such as Effexor, much newer classes of antidepressant
agents, came into use because they were safer than the tricyclics, and
the side effects were better tolerated.

All said, I am glad Vikki found that Prozac has been working with
Spencer.  The alternative isn't pretty. Generic two-legger fluoxetine
might be lighter on your purse, but that's something for you and your
Vet to decide.

Charlie Meyer
West Virginia Coordinator
Basset Rescue of Old Dominion, Inc. (BROOD)
Droolassic Park
Keyser, WV

Basset Hound Rescue: Work With Women. Pick Up Dogs.