[Dailydrool] bassets need not apply

gravemast at aol.com gravemast at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 15:21:02 PST 2010

OK....I think rescues are making a huge difference in my area.  I live in Southern Mississippi....fairly close to New Orleans area.  I was browsing the shelter lists and I noticed something, well, shocking to me.  There were no pure bred bassets in shelters in my area at all.  Of course, there are some in the local rescues (No-kill of course).  But I think this is the first time that I have browsed the adoptable pets and found no pure bred bassets in temporary shelters.  That may not seem like a huge deal, but it made my eyes tear up a little.  Maybe it is just a fluke.....or maybe there are some that arent listed.  But at the moment, all is well in this area and I dont feel the urgent need to go running out and pull a hound from a shelter because their time is running out.  I dont feel the need to exceed the rules of my HOA and take more dogs than I am supposed to have.  I dont have to offer my help to transport a hound from a shelter to a rescue.....because their simply arent any in danger in my area at the moment.  And that is a very nice feeling.  I know there are others breeds in need out there...but tonite I think I will sit back with an adult beverage, let Harley curl up in my lap, let Annabelle curl up at my side.....give them both proper skritches and belly rubs.....feed them a solid dinner.....and rough-house with them....and know that I dont have to worry about a baby that is alone at a shelter awaiting death.  As far as victories go, this may be a little one, but sometimes it is nice to feel like you are helping to make a difference.  Keep up all of the good work rescuers.......You are making a difference!  One hound at a time!

Tom
slave to Harley, Annabelle, and Calypso (ATB)
=