[Dailydrool] Flooring advice

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Thu Jan 28 12:11:16 PST 2010

You may want to investigate using real wood instead of the laminate.  I
don't think the price difference is big when you compare wood to the high
end laminates.  We put in hardwood throughout our main level years ago and
love it.  We did have the "industrial" strength sealer applied.  That was a
headache because there are several applications and you can't walk on it
while it dries.

However, the wood has served us very well through multiple fosters who have
a few "oops" while they get used to the new place, including some puppies
who have fostered with us.  Right now our floor and our paper towel
collection are getting a work out from our dear Sidney, who is very old, has
some doggy alzheimers, and has about a 2 second delay between his request to
go out and his need to go. The floors are still holding up and the finish
allows me to get the floor clean after his "oopses".  I don't even want to
think about the condition a carpet would be in. I like the hardwood better
than tile.  When our kitchen was tiled, I never felt like I could get the
grout clean from all the miscellaneous biological fluids that show up on the
floor when you have lots of dogs.

Lisa and the MN Woofers

Ella Marie, Sidney and Hank