[Dailydrool] Frozen Starving Bassets

Melissa mibassetrescue at att.net
Fri Jan 29 17:10:36 PST 2010

MBR recieved two bassets from their owner this past week. These two, Hope
and Bruiser, were kept outside in a pen with a dog house as their only
shelter. Shelter from Michigan Weather!!! We have had a BITTER cold winter
so far. Last year there was endless snow and cold.

Poor  Hope was part of the family as a pup. Then she started being used as a
puppy machine and when the owner started having children, Hope was banished
to an outdoor pen brought inside only when she was whelping. She has spent 4
or 5 Michigan Winters outside. The owner called and asked us to take Hope
because she thought Hope deserved a better home. She claimed she was too
busy with her 3 children to pay much attention to Hope anymore. When I made
a comment about how WRONG it was for her to be kept outside, I was informed
that Hope had another basset to snuggle in the doghouse with. "They keep
each other warm". ......So I agree to take Hope. Then I decide I MUST have
the other basset!! I called and asked if we could have him, too. She said
she'd have to ask her husband...it was his dog and she didn't know if he'd
give him up. A couple days pass and I finally had them agree to release
Bruiser.

They would never tell me where they lived or give me a land line phone
number. Only a cell phone number. We had to meet them in another near-by
town to pick up the dogs.

We were SHOCKED at their condition. Obviously these people were too busy
with their three children to think about FEEDING the dogs out in the pen
full of poop and ice. They are absolutely EMACIATED.

The past two nights here have seen windchills in the sub zero range. Hope
and Bruiser, walking skeletons, would have had a hard time surviving this
cold snap. They had survived many others over the years, but this, I'm sure,
would have finished one or both of them. I think we got them JUST in time!

Hope is Heartworm Positive (not a big surprize there). Both are full of whip
worms. Hope can't start treatment for the Heartworms until she gets a lot
healthier. Both need to be spayed/neutered and that is also on hold for now.

If you'd like to meet his lovable, sweet, sweet pair, visit our web site www
michiganbassetrescue.org . If you can make a donation for their care while
you are there, we'd greatly appreciate it.

Their foster mom, Fran, reports they are absolutely the sweetest things.
Bruiser loves to give kisses. They are velcro dogs, never leaving her side.
How is it that dogs keep on loving people when people are so cruel???

Melissa

Michigan Basset Rescue
100% Recycled Bassets
http://www.michiganbassetrescue.org