[Dailydrool] My parents' dog

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Jan 30 18:18:01 PST 2010

On Monday I went with my mother to have her Jack Russell Terrier
helped out of this life and into the next. Daisy was almost 15 and
wasn't eating or drinking, was emaciated (down to 9.7 pounds from 16
several years before), and just wandered slowly around the house with
a vacant look in her eyes--when she wasn't sleeping, which was pretty
much all the time during the last week. She really had become just a
ghostly presence--silent and wraithlike. She wasn't having fun
anymore, which meant that she was actually enjoyable to be around. No
incessant, persistent yapping and jumping on people or just being a
Jack Russell Terror in general. (I'm really, really not a terrier
person!)

As I wrote in a Drool post last year, my mother consented to getting
a dog during my father's last months with idiopathic pulmonary
fibrosis twelve years ago. She didn't want a dog, but she loved my
dad enough to do so for him. She hoped that, if the dog didn't give
him a reason to live longer, at least it would make his last months
happier. Thanks to the PBS series "Wishbone," Dad really wanted a
JRT, despite the fact that breed wasn't at all suited to either my
parents' lifestyle or their current situation. My sister found Daisy
in a questionable rescue group, and Dad was delighted with her. Daisy
seemed to know at once that her job was to be his company during the
day. She'd spend all day quietly on his lap in the recliner, but when
he went upstairs to bed, she'd suddenly turn into a ball of fire that
tore all over the house and behaved like a normal JRT. It was as if
she knew she was officially off duty for the night.

My sister and I had hoped that after Dad died, our mother would
become more active in training Daisy. Alas, that didn't happen. For
the rest of her life, Daisy remained unreliably housebroken and
unaware of any commands other than "sit," which she would hold for
just a few seconds while continuing to yap at my mother in a grating
voice that sounded like a rusty gate hinge. In fact, what happened
was that Daisy wound up training my mother by yapping for however
long it took until my mother got up and did whatever it was Daisy
wanted. This made being with both of them at the same time not always
pleasant. Daisy was a great example of what can happen when you don't
put the time and effort into teaching a dog good manners: people
don't care to be around such a dog.

My mother loved Daisy despite her bossy, noisy characteristics, and
over the years they developed into a good team that worked well
together. It was hard for Ken and I to tolerate Daisy for more than
about an hour at a time, but my mother saw only her good qualities
and, after Dad died, came to really depend on her for companionship.
Daisy was also a strong, living link to Dad and thus became
considerably more to my mother than she would have been otherwise. My
sister and I suspect Daisy's death has resurrected our mother's grief
over Dad's death eleven years ago all over again. Our mother told my
sister on the phone the morning of Daisy's death that she'd be "all
alone now." It's going to be hard for her to not have the presence of
another being in the house. My sister and I aren't encouraging her to
get another dog, however, because of her health. A couple of budgies,
perhaps, but not a dog.

Our Elsinore went with us to the vet's so she could lend some moral
support and be a dog for my mother to pat on the way home. My mother
thought that, since Elsinore and Daisy had a cordial relationship,
Elsinore should be allowed to see what happened to Daisy. She didn't
want Elsinore to end up searching her house the next time she was
over and then being puzzled as to why Daisy was no longer in it. I'd
had Daisy over at my house for one day the week before because she
wasn't having a good day, and my mother had appointments to go to but
was worried about leaving Daisy by herself. Normally Ken and I didn't
let Daisy come over because she was so disruptive, obnoxious, and
prone to peeing wherever she wanted. But by that point she was
obviously declining and blessedly silent, so I figured she'd be
bearable for a day. I also figured Elsinore, who's a very astute and
sensitive hound, had a pretty good idea by the end of that day that
Daisy wasn't long for this world.

But Elsinore went with us, and I explained to her what was going to
happen. Young Charlie didn't come with us because he would have been
one too many dogs to handle in addition to my mother, who doesn't
walk well, and Daisy, who needed me to carry her. I suspect Charlie
was really more fond of Daisy's toys than of Daisy anyway, especially
her hedgehog. Immediately after Daisy died, Elsinore gave Daisy's
rear end and head a cursory sniff and then didn't approach the body
again. She and Daisy had always gotten along, but I wouldn't say that
Elsinore had ever harbored any deep and abiding affection for Daisy
the way she does for her basset friend Owen, for example, so I'm not
concerned about her actually missing Daisy. In fact, we've all been
over to my mother's house several times since Daisy's death, and
neither Elsinore nor Charlie have shown any concern over Daisy's
absence.

My mother tells me that five days later she still feels numb. She
hasn't been able to put away Daisy's crate, bedding, or bowls yet.
She's also hasn't been able to bring herself to talk on the phone
with family and friends about Daisy's death, though she was able to
write a short death notice for the people who knew Daisy and Dad.
This week has been consumed by the construction of a wheelchair ramp
in her backyard that's not going well and has had to involve a local
councilman to try to get the historic zoning commission to relax its
regulations so the ramp can be ADA compliant. In some ways this
headache has been a blessing in that it's given everyone something
else to focus on. But I think once the situation is resolved my
mother will begin the real grieving of a rough-coated, pugnacious,
high-spirited, irrepressible, and loving little friend who has left
her to return to the man who loved her first. I wish there was a way
to make this easier for my mother, but I know there isn't.

Elizabeth