[Dailydrool] various

Psy1801 at aol.com Psy1801 at aol.com
Mon Jul 5 17:00:11 PDT 2010

I would let Gus post, but he's not telling me the truth about his 'venchur,
 so I can't put him on the computer.  We had a real scare yesterday.   Gus
is still a buppy and smaller than Sirius.  He got spooked by the  fireworks
(actually, ONE firework) and escaped from the fenced yard by getting  under
the gate.  We keep logs there, but he was so scared he managed to  move them
and scrunch around them.  After searching for an hour, we got a  call from
the precinct (which we had called to report that he was  missing)...some
wonderful person found him, the equally wonderful cops brought  him to the
station, and we picked him up there after one of the worst hours of  our lives.
Happy ending!  Our thanks to the anonymous person who  found him and didn't
leave their name or address with the police and to Long  Island's finest
for their efforts!!  Thanks also to Suzanne for her help in  guiding us during
the search process.

So, any suggestions? The fence is new and a good one, but the land itself
is not perfectly even, so some areas have a bit of air underneath.  The
worst spot, probably the only one a basset of 13 months could wiggle through,
is  the gate itself, so it can't be fully closed off.  What could we put
there?  Would an electronic fence/collar thing work for that purpose, as an
adjunct to  the fence itself?  Has anyone had and solved this problem? The
little guy  was fine until the fireworks, but now that he knows it's there, I
would not  trust him to stay away from the escape route if, say, a varmint came
 along.

Other than that, Gus is a little smoosh, a real velcro dog.  Different
from Sirius who wants attention when he wants it, but also spends time on his
doggie bed doing his own thing.  Gus is one of those dogs who won't let me
go to the bathroom without company.

Drool for Conley being sent from this end--hope his eye thing turns out to
be nothing.