[Dailydrool] Trooper's Home!!

Brenda Weddle bweddlern at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:24:57 PDT 2010

We brought Trooper home this evening. He sure looks better than when we found him (and smells better, too). We had all of the Herd outside except for the dachsie girls when we brought him in. They got along fine, and Trooper would go back and forth between Bob and me kissing us and wanting to be petted. We decided to put him in his crate when we brought everyone else back in. A couple of neighbor boys came over to see Trooper, and being boys, they got everyone stirred up by playing with them. Trooper started shaking and would growl when any of the other dogs came to sniff him. I nicely asked the boys to go home so we could get everyone settled in, and they did. Since things have settled down, he is not growling at the other dogs now when they come to say hi. Right now he is sleeping peacefully in his crate with a soft new crate pad and a bowl of water. I can't believe the difference in this dog! He ran around the back yard (while the others were inside), played and even picked up a tennis ball in his mouth. He gets around great and seems to feel so much better. He will get an antibiotic twice a day by mouth, an antibiotic/steroid power twice a day on his wounds, an anti-inflammatory for pain or fever twice a day if he needs it, and antibiotic ointment for his good eye (They did have to remove his right eye during surgery). His good eye has an ulcer on it, and we have to put the ointment in 4 times a day. We can't risk losing his only eye now. He goes back in a week to have his eye checked and in 10 days for suture removal and vaccinations. I will post pictures when he is healed a bit more.

Drool for Piper's family and all those who have lost houndies or have sick ones. Our prayers are with you.

Conley, Trooper wants me to thank you very much for designating him as an honorary Basset Hound. He is deeply honored. He would thank you himself, but he is getting used to seeing out of only one eye right now. He is also grateful to the Drooler who said Trooper's Gotcha Day should be a national holiday when everyone donates what they can to a rescue. So, FYI, his Gotcha Day is June 26th, 2010.

P.S. The vet said she thinks he is a little less than one year old.

Thanks again for everything.

Drool and soft sweet snooter to all!

Brenda, Bob and the Thundering Herd of Dog Woods Farm (including me, Trooper - Honorary Basset Hound!)