[Dailydrool] Glaucoma and Basset baths

Bonnie Harlow blessedbassets at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 16:12:19 PDT 2010

 BATHS:   I got way behind on reading my drools and wanted to add something about baths.  I don't get any kind of bonus for promoting this product but wanted to share about the Rapid Bath.  It is a shower attachment that holds a packet of shampoo.  You can so easily bathe your dog with one hand because the attachment can be turned on and off,  shampoo turned on and off,  rinse turned on and off with just one hand.  It has two different levels of power for the spray and you can get under your dog and get the armpits and everything so easily.  It has made bath time a breeze and I can do it so quickly with this tool.  My Bassets love it too.  I ordered it online but you can now buy it at Walmart.  I thought the shampoo packets might be kind of expensive but one packet does last a lot longer than you would think.  I highly recommend this product.

Glaucoma:  The video about Thor was great.  I personally want to thank all of you on the drool who responded to me 3 years ago when my sweet Wilma lost her first eye to glaucoma. I was devastated.  I got so much good help and advice from the drool and was sent to the blind dog site by many of you.  Living with Blind Dogs is a fantastic book and helped me to prepare for the day that Wilma would lose her second eye.  Well that day came a week ago.  We feel blessed that she had 3 whole years with her good eye before the glaucoma flared up and took it.  I am totally amazed at her recovery and how well she goes around our house just as if she still sees.  After only a few days of recovery she wanted to go out to the play area with the other dogs.  We have a big Basset family so at first I did not have any others out in the play area.   I opened the back door and Wilma went down the step, across the deck, to the gate just as she always did when she could see.  Going into the play area she walked around and greeted her family at the pens.  Wilma has had a dominant position in the pack so when I let out two of the girls,  THE alpha of the pack, Zoee,  who Wilma has known her whole life and Angel who is "under" Wilma in the pack it was amazing to see.  Wilma and Zoee smelled and greeted and Wilma did her "stance" with Angel to say she is still the boss and all three were perfectly happy.  With the first eye Wilma had a prosthetic eye but with the second eye it was removed and just sewed up.  So she looks like she is winking.  The other girls just smelled the eye and life went on as usual.
   Thanks so much to all of you who helped me three years ago to understand that blindness is not a death sentence for a dog but that they can have a full life even though blind.  I think being a Basset is a big help because of the importance of their nose.
We have been training Wilma to be a therapy dog.  She made a lot of people very happy last Christmas visiting a hospice for AIDS patients.  I feel certain that now she will be an even more effective therapy dog.
   If I can ever share any info. on glaucoma or blind dogs or encourage any of you please feel free to email me.  Thanks you droolers for all of your help and support.
Bonnie, sweet Wilma and the Blessed Bassets