[Dailydrool] Hard-headed bassets

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Jul 7 05:20:48 PDT 2010

<<She would force her head into the spot where the front of the crate joins
the top of the crate, and shove her entire body through that tiny crack,
forcing the wire open wide enough so she could slither out.>>

When a hound wants to get somewhere, it's very hard to stop it. After
Abner's back surgery, we gated off our second floor with a large gate that
has a smaller kitty door inside the human-sized door, to allow the cat
access to his favorite place.

One stormy day we came home to find our storm-fearful Abner  in his favorite
secure place, at the top of the stairs. The gate seemed undisturbed. It was
not until some time later, when we were painting our living room and had
moved the gate to block the dogs from coming in, that we discovered how Abs
has done it. Drew watched as Abs pushed his way through the no more than
eight-inch kitty door. Anyone who knows our Abs knows that he has a massive
chest. How he squished it through there, I will never know.

It took me a long time to believe that Drew wasn't just joshing me about
this, but I had seen that Abs was in the dining room, then suddenly in the
living room, so I guess I have to believe Drew. The whole gate was unmoved.

What our silly goose didn't realize was that if he had just pushed the whole
gate aside, he could have done it much more easily. We have never affixed
the gate to our plaster walls, but not being the brightest bulb in the box,
Abs never figured that out.

"Where there's a will, there's a way" must be the hound motto.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets