[Dailydrool] Gates and stuff...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 05:18:56 PDT 2010

 Good morning everybody from hot and steamy NJ!  It reached 100 degrees here with an even higher heat index.  The hounds are excited to go out for walkies but after about five minutes are glad to quickly complete the circuit and lay down near an A/C vent.  Doesn't look like any relief is in sight for several more days, either.

Gates...until about two months ago this was a very sore subject at our house.  We have two gate destroyers; Daisy and Dozer.  Well, I shouldn't say they destroy them because they are still intact - just no longer standing when they are done.  They are both very "tenacious" hounds, when they want to do/eat something or get somewhere they'll keep at it until they are successful - or WE figure out how to outsmart them.

We live in a townhouse; the downstairs is hardwood or tile floors but the upstairs is carpeted so the hounds are forbidden there. Because we rent we were hesitant to screw anything into a wall or or stair post and thought, "Heck, if we make this tight enough they won't be able to get through."  Bwaaaaahaaaa! Riiiiight!  Not sure of the name of the gate we found but it is an adjustable white metal gate with vertical bars.  It has four screw-type gizmos which adjust outward to fit an opening.  It's similar to a pressure mount but much sturdier and has a "walk-through" feature which is a must since we go up and down several times each day.

The first couple of months it was installed it worked well; Then Dozer got annnoyed that WE were upstairs and HE was not.  So, he "dozed" the gate with his big snooter; kept pushing and pushing at the bottom until it gave way and up he came.  The downside (along with the fact that once upstairs he marked a spot or two on the carpet as his) was once he made his way through, the bottom of the gate fell back into place.  It wasn't snug but it looked like it was, so he couldn't get back through to be downstairs.  Being the Pavlovian creatures they are, once successful, try again.  It got to be a joke; how long will it take him to snooter it down today?

Then the dumb slaves remembered that the gate came with hardware which, when screwed into the wall, became invisible but allowed the gate supports to sit inside four little cups.  Once the support posts were secured inside they CAN'T come out!  So, we screwed them into place, inserted the supports and VOILA!  Success!  I only wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Dozer tried to work his persistent magic again.  We'll deal with any small holes which need to be repaired when the time comes.  I think metal is a better choice because it's heavier/sturdier and it bolts into place securely. Sorry I can't remember the manufacturer...senior moment.

Somehow I missed the post about Conley's eye issue.  The NJ4 send eye-healing drool your way, little buddy.

Glad to hear that Trooper continues to heal.  I have shared his story with many of my animal loving friends.  They, too, were horrified at how cruel some humans are.  I think he is beautiful...

Our crew is still contemplating what role they would like to have in the Pacific Basset F(l)eet, LOL.  What fun it is to read about all the current participants!

Glad to know that Elder Clara is holding her own and ruling the roost from her perch.  Sister Daisy, listen well to all she is teaching you.  Between the two of you, you can keep the Brudders in line.

Healing drool to all who need it.  Even if I don't comment specifically about you and your babies you are in my heart and thoughts...

Sandi, Mamaslave to the NJ4
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley