[Dailydrool] dog fights

Tina Zantrofski dzantrofski69 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 05:02:57 PDT 2010

Hi all.  Looking for a little advice on how to handle a new issue here at
the "zoo"..  We have 3 dogs, Millie who is an 8-year-old lab, Buddy who we
think is an around 6 or 7-year-old mutt and Reba, the 3-year-old basset.
Lately when Buddy sees someone on a bicycle, motorcycle or even the dog next
door, he starts running around like crazy and barking.  He will then run
over to Reba as if to say, "come on, we gotta bark and get these people
outta here!" but he basically charges her.  Reba hates this and will go over
him.  In the past, Buddy would return to whatever he was barking at and
leave Reba alone. Now, however, when he charges her, she goes after him and
he stays to fight with her.  If we yell at them, they stop and everything is
fine.  I'm getting a little afraid because this seems to be escalating and I
don't want to let it go to the point of bloodshed.  Otherwise, they are the
best of friends and love to run and play together.  Its only this instance
when Buddy gets all worked up and charges at Reba that we have trouble.
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and the best way to handle
it.  Last night we were in the house when it happened (we have Invisible
Fence) but we could hear them going at it.  We made them come in and my
husband grabbed Buddy by the collar and put him into a down position and
told him "no!".  He doesn't challenge us, he knows who is boss but when he
gets worked up, its like he can't control himself and he challenges Reba.

Tina and the crew in MA.