[Dailydrool] tooth brushing

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 17:43:21 PDT 2010

I have been very very busy with a new buppy and finishing up 2 books which will appear this summer but I had to reply to advice sought for tooth brushing.

We put good stinky dog toothpaste (peanut butter or beef or chicken flavor) on cheap children's toothbrushes (4 for $1.00 at the Dollar store on occasion) and YES everydog has their own toothbrush!

My dogs line up and wiggle and drool and can't wait for their turn!  Now the older dogs do teach the younger ones - but I have buppy #3 in 4 years and Bruno also can hardly wait for his turn to have his teeth brushed!

I paste up all the brushes - the dogs are all drooling in the kitchen by this point - and I brush each one in his turn.  5 Bassets and 1 Dachshund.  I have been told it is a sight to see altho I am too busy brushing to notice.  I don't care if I get 2 teeth or a whole mouth - we do it every night after dinner and then they get a carrot treat when we are done.

The Dachshund still needs annual teeth cleaning (Wienie dog mouth, I am told) but my 10-year old Duffy, has never needed a tooth cleaning, and, of course, the 2-year old, 3-year old and 6 month old have never had their teeth cleaned.  We have done 16 year-old Charles' about 4 times, but only when he has needed to be knocked out for another procedure.

That is my story and I am stickin to it as truth is stranger than fiction, I do believe!

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU , BASSETKU , RESKU and  HORSEKU!