[Dailydrool] Back problems

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Jul 9 06:17:14 PDT 2010

<<Our Elsinore is eight or nine, and young Charlie is, physically, four-
and-a-half (in his heart, he's still about two). I feel so grateful
for having gotten this far into their lives without any back problems
cropping up. We're doing everything we can to prevent back problems,
but sometimes that's not enough. Genetics may defeat us in the end
(structurally, both are poor specimens of the breed), but it'd be
lovely to get them safely through their lives without ever needing
MRIs of and surgeries on their spines.>>

At least with Elsinore, you may be beyond the danger zone. According to
something I read on a veterinary Web site (do you think I can remember which
one?), intervertebral disk disease is a young dog's problem. Bassets are
prone to it up to about the age of six. Abner was about that age when he
went down in the back.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets