[Dailydrool] Bob and Backs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 10:50:02 PDT 2010

When Mitchell (ATB) was 11 he began having serious back trouble. He went
down; we treated it with steroids and pain killers and a long stay at the
Vetspital and he did well.
The second time he went down a couple of months later, it was much more
serious. The stay at the Vetspital did little to help him regain mobility,
altho he had a little.
Mitchell hated crates.
In a crate, he whined CONTINUALLY. I mean, it never stopped. He wouldn't
eat, he whined. So we built a "pen" in the living room using ex=pen fencing
and made it about large crate size. It was every bit as confining as the
crate, but didn't have a roof and didn't quite LOOK like a crate. We bought
some lined pads to cover the carpet, along with papers and a tarp over that,
and then the pads. We also put  in a crate pad. As he improved we enlarged
the pen a little, but not much, not so he could really walk around but so he
could at least change position easily and really stretch out.

But, sadly, he never recovered, but the point of this is that changing the
IDEA of the crate is sometimes an option with a dog who hates crates. I'm
not sure why he was like that. He was a champion, he was crated as a puppy
and at shows and in the Van, but at home....forget it.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper