[Dailydrool] creative confinement

DIERKER j.mdierker at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 9 20:16:07 PDT 2010

Reading about the different ways of keeping a dog confined made me remember my dearly departed Belle.She was not a basset,she was a Pyrenees,and she hated crates with a passion.She was a rescue at 18 months old.I don't know her history.If left out, she would pull everything off the counters,eat the blinds,and then just sit in the middle of the mess.If crated,she would get so upset that when I got her out,she would be dripping wet with spit.  To make a 100 lb. pyrenees dripping wet takes a WHOLE lotta spit.Finally on nice days I would leave her in the backyard for short periods if we positively had to go somewhere.She was happy there but she would always dig up this one bush and take it in the middle of the yard and lay on it.We'd replant it and she'd do it again.The bush didn't mind,and I didn't mind, until she also chewed the lines of the air conditioner.Sooooo then I bought a new air conditioner and put a fence around just our patio,16x12 feet.She
 didn't realize she was confined and she couldn't get into mischief. Worked great except I forgot the hose outlet was there.I came home one day and she'd chewed through the hose and there was water shooting up like a geyser, and there she was in the middle of it.Soaking wet with the biggest smile on her face.
I had fostered a beautiful little basset puppy a year earlier and he was returned to me just two weeks before Belle passed away very suddenly at the age of six.If ever there was a dog that got me prepared for "surprises" and stubborness,and throwing my hands up in the air and saying "okay, you win!" it was her. And I needed every bit of it to enter the basset world.How do they think up some of the things they do? Never a dull moment and I wouldn't change a thing.
Janet, Bunny, Yogi, and Carlie Jane