[Dailydrool] Bees nested in ground

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 12 17:05:50 PDT 2010

We had an infestation of these varmints a couple of years ago, none of the
dogs or cats got stung, but the little nasties chased me into the house
twice, I got stung about 15 times and then it happened again and they stung
me about 12 times.  That's it, bees gotta go.  They had a nest in the ground
in one of my flower beds and also made multiple nests in the next door
neighbor's rotten railroad timber planter edging.  Neighbor wouldn't do
anything, so I ended up getting rid of the bees in the planter and also in
the ground.  Planter - once it was very dark so the bees were inside the
timber, I took expanding foam (Great Stuff it's called) and a flashlight,
crawled under bushes to the planter and foamed (filled) every crack and
crevice in the timbers.  Never saw another bee go in or out.  Ground Nest -
after dark again, I took bee and wasp spray and a sturdy bucket and a heavy
rock - first heavily coat the inside of the bucket with the bug spray, then
set it close at hand.  Now pour as much down the entrance as you can, then
grab bucket, invert over hole, put heavy rocks or weight on top to hold it
and seal it to the ground.  Let it all sit undisturbed for several days,
theory is if any bees survive the initial spraying, they'll come up and be
trapped in bucket full of more spray and die.  It worked, no more bees.
Fill the entrance with dirt and hope the little buggers don't come back.
Victory.  BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT'LL TEACH YOU!!!  Whoops, sorry, got
carried away there.  Very rude to sting someone who is not bothering you.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net