[Dailydrool] Thyroid bloodwork and meds

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Tue Jul 13 16:33:09 PDT 2010

This is the information that my vet told me.  The thyroid range for each breed is different.  Some that may show
up as hyper in the blood work are actually normal.  Others that show up low can be normal.  Doc usually
recommends doing the Dr. Dodds thyroid test and evaluation.  Yes it is expensive but I loved getting the
interpretations.

Anywho, Doc treats more on the symptoms then the test results.  I know a few years ago that there was
a study done on we humans on treating when the thyroid was still in the low normal range.  What the
article said was that many people who were in the low normal range had hypothyroidism based on the
symptoms.  The study recommended that these people should be treated and evaluated every 3 months.

As a nurse I have to agree with our Doc.  We did the Dr. Dodds test on Sadee Maye just to make sure
her skin condition wasn't due to low thyroid.  I also try to get a baseline thyroid test on all the gang so if
it is needed in the future it is we have it.

One last thing.  The thyroid test can be off if the furkidz has/is sick.  Doc says it takes at least one month
before the thyroid restabilizes.  I though that was interesting.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang