[Dailydrool] Owner explains why she dumped her dogs

Alicia Pool apool at wolfrogersdickey.com
Fri Jul 16 11:02:58 PDT 2010

I saw this last night on the Columbus, Ohio news and saw that a couple of
the ones that they showed were bassets – poor little things.  I’m not in any
way excusing what this lady did, but at least she did leave them where they
were likely to be found and helped quickly – we seem to hear of so many
worse fates for such animals these days.

Earlier this week just a couple of miles from us, 56 dogs were rescued from
the basement of a hoarder and now our local humane society is absolutely
overwhelmed.  L

A lady I work with was asking me what she should do about a couple of stray
cats that showed up at her house in the last couple of weeks and had
kittens.  They were never her animals in the first place, just made their
way into her garage.  Now she is burdened with the result of others’
irresponsibility and has all of these cats/kittens that she can’t afford to
take care of and has been turned away by every agency that she has asked for
help – the local humane society is full as are the ones in surrounding
counties.  Or if they will consider taking them, they want a $25 donation
for each one!  I know this woman does not have the means to do this.  What
are people supposed to do when the only response that they seem to get at
each turn is “sorry we can’t help you”?

Considering animals to be disposable objects is one thing, but sometimes
life takes a turn in a bad direction ( and it seems to be doing that more
and more these days) for someone who had very good intentions and that
person really does need help to properly care for their pets.  We all know
that rescues are overwhelmed, shelters are overwhelmed.  If there are other
resources, maybe something needs to be done to make more people aware of
what those resources are.