[Dailydrool] Question about bloat and Gas-X

Susan Booker susanbooker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 10:00:44 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm mom to Snugs, an 8 yo sweetie/terrorist girl who has become the focal
point of life in our house since we adopted her from Droopy Basset Rescue a
little over a year ago.

This morning she went out for a poop, had a normal-looking stool then
immediately went flat and began shivering. Her stomach didn't appear
distended at all and she didn't vomit but,after about 10 15 minutes, it
occurred to me that I should give her Gas-X in case of bloat and then called
my vet.  I should explain that I would have taken her in right away were it
not for the fact that I'm paying off a several thousand dollar vet bill,
incurred when I had to care for and lost two very sick dogs just as I became
unemployed last year.  And if she had shown obvious bloat symptoms, she
would have gone in no matter what.  I'm now waiting for a call back from the
vet.

10-15 minutes after getting the Gas-X, Snugs started to improve and about 45
minutes later she was definitely on her way back to normal.  I know that she
could have had a number of things going on, not necessarily bloat.  My
questions are:  Does simethicone ever mask symptoms leading up to bloat,
hiding the fact that it's still an urgent problem?  Can it resolve bloat if
given early enough?

One more thing...I had Gas-X in the house in the form of dissolving strips
that contain 62 mg of simethicone.  It was so easy to just slip them under
her lip without risking the bite that's often a possibility with Snugs.
Although I don't know why it wouldn't be the same, I hope it's just as
effective in dogs as the other forms.

Thanks for any input - this is a wonderful community and a great source of
information and laughs!

Susan - no wonder I'm broke...see below
Andrew - two-legged brother and friend to dogs Snugs, Chubb, Walker (atb),
KayKay (atb) and cats Robin, Patrick, Pearl, Rufous, Lucy, Bunny and Phoebe
Fluffy-Butt (atb too soon)
Snugs - I think I'm ok now [^^]

*Susan Booker Catering*
Susan Viles Booker