[Dailydrool] Too much drool!

Rosemary Ryan r2 at q.com
Thu Jul 22 23:01:08 PDT 2010

It took 4 visits to two vets to figure out what was wrong ($$$$$$$$$$),
but a CT scan finally determined that my 10 year old Isaac had an
abscessed salivary gland. He had been acting punk for awhile. I thought
he was just slowing down. But when he refused to eat I knew something
was wrong. On the first two visits, the vets really didn't find
anything, except for a slight elevation in white blood cells. Then I
felt swelling under his left jaw. I waited until a vet I really like was
on duty and took him in again - about 6 hours later. By that time I
could see the swelling. The vet did an an ultrasound and tried to draw
fluid from the mass. He got just a few drops and referred me to another
vet hospital for advanced imaging. The next day I sat in their waiting
room for 6 hours waiting for an opening in the queue for a CT scan.
Could almost see the thing swelling before my very eyes. The vets there
diagnosed the abscess and drew off 6-7 cc's of fluid. The surgery was
scheduled for the next day. By the time they got in the abscess had
burst. They cleaned out the pus and removed the infected salivary
glands. Isaac came home the next day with a drain that was removed 5
days later. The hole where it had been closed in another 3 days. Then
drool started collecting in his neck. The main vet drew out 70 cc's on
Tuesday and said he thought Isaac would need another surgery. The
surgeon said to wait a few days to see whether the situation would
resolve over time. I'm now taking Issac in every other day to have the
fluid drained from his neck. The antibiotics are working and a culture
of the fluid grew nothing. There is no infection brewing.

The vets say that abscessed salivary glands are pretty rare and it's
hard to know what causes them. They asked about chewing on sticks and
foxtails, neither of which are issues here. They also looked for foreign
bodies and didn't see any, but it was a mess in his neck and they could
have missed them. The amazing thing is that within 48 hours the abscess
went from undetectable to huge.

The good news is that Isaac is otherwise healthy and recovering well
from the surgery. The big gun antibiotics messed with his stomach and at
first he didn't want to eat. It took a bit of trial and error and a
planned drug holiday to get his stomach settled down, but once we
figured it out, Isaac started eating again and he's been recovering
nicely - except for the saliva flowing into his neck.

So now we drain and wait. If anyone needs drool, we've got plenty to
spare. Here we are chanting NO DROOL, NO DROOL, NO DROOL.

Rosemary and
Isaac (10), his half sister Dinah (8), her daughter Hilary(5), and
Hilary's kids - Spencer, Regina, and Esther (15 months)