[Dailydrool] Introduction

Peggy Evleth pevleth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 09:05:23 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here for the mostpart, but thought I'd introduce
myself.  My name is Peggy and I've been a foster mommy for High Country
Basset Rescue since November of last year.  In that time I have fostered 10
dogs.

I have a basset hound named Wilbur that I adopted from Suncoast Basset
Rescue in Florida in 2003.  I always said that when I got in a position
where I could help needy bassets I would.  I also have a yellow lab mix
named Tenshi that actually belongs to my best friend/former roommate.  She
is off at school, but her dog and my dog are bonded, so we won't separate
them.

I had a foster come in named Baxter.  He was an owner relinquishment to a
local shelter.  He will be 11 in August.  He lived in one family his whole
life, but they had a baby and decided they didn't have time for the dog.
Seriously, what did they think was going to happen to a 10 year old dog at a
shelter?  Do the shelters tell people that their dog is likely to be
euthanized, or do they just take the dogs and don't tell the people that
they are probably giving their dog a death sentence?

Anyway, Baxter is a terrific dog.  He's an awesome senior pooch who still
has a lot of energy and is a very happy boy.  Well, we all know how hard it
is to place senior dogs, even though they are awesome.  I had managed to
carefully avoid getting emotionally attached to the other fosters that came
through, but Baxter got me.  I went ahead and adopted him so that he will
have the golden years he deserves in a house filled with dogs, treats and
love.

I've enjoyed reading posts from folks on this list, although seeing all the
dogs ATB breaks my heart.

Keep up the good work everyone!  I love seeing the houndies getting help!

Peggy