[Dailydrool] Summertime

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 03:29:58 PDT 2010

We all know that Bassets don't shake off the heat the way some long-legged,
slim-trim breeds do and I know I am preaching to the choir but hear me out:
WATCH YOUR DOGS IN THE SUMMER
Playtime at the park should be limited to early morning or evening when the
weather is cooler. ALWAYS CARRY WATER. I don't care how inconvenient or
silly you look, never be without. If the humidity is high limit your dog's
time outside to 10 or 15 minutes esp if they are playing and running around.
No matter how guilty your Basset makes you feel, leave your dogs at home
instead of taking them and leaving them in a car. With windows down it still
gets too hot.

There is a great thermometer out that reads the rectal temp in about 6
seconds. Normal is 101-102.5.
Every year every Vet and TEch will tell you they lose dogs to overheating
and it is a horrible way to go, trust me on this.
If your dog has been out and is staggering, or showing other signs of
overheating, get a fan on him and get some water on his back, head, neck,
ears, belly, groin and paws-- anywhere that there are big blood vessels near
the surface. You can use alcohol too if you need to. Take the temp every
five or ten minutes. Once it is down to 103 or so STOP. You do not want to
lower it too quickly. Get your baby to the Vet. This is an emergency.

I know you guys all know this. I just had to put it out there.

MomPerson who nearly did in one of her "alternate breed" dogs when it was a
balmy 70 degrees out.