[Dailydrool] Dog bite

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Jun 1 11:22:29 PDT 2010

<<This week an english bull Mastic is being put down by owner cuz a kid of
friend was staying at her place and tripped and fell on the dog who
was sleeping and dog bit him rather badly. Too bad they can't talk The
owner's devastated but decided to do it..>>

This one sends me straight up in the air like a rocket. I do not have a
problem with someone putting a dog down that bites repeatedly and without
provocation, but this case seems unfair. It was not the dog's fault. Anyone
who is "attacked" in such a way will respond defensively. And the dog didn't
know it wasn't being attacked.  As long as no one falls on the dog, it is
unlikely to bite again. It should have had another chance.

People and laws about biting dogs can be unrealistic. I have a dog who has
bitten, so I know whereof I speak. I also know that unless it's a completely
unprovoked attack, when you solve the problem, the dog usually doesn't bite
again. Since Abner has been on glucosamine and chondroitin, his back feels
much better. He has not so much as snapped. I will keep him on Prozac, to be
on the safe side, and I am being careful about touching places that
previously provoked him, but he feels so much better, I think we are through
the worst of it. Abs is fortunate that other than vets and vet techs, he's
only bitten me. If he had bitten a stranger, he probably would have met the
same fate as this dog.

A better solution would be to train children to watch out and not to fall on
sleeping dogs. It's not that I don't feel sorry for the bitten child, but
it's life is probably not at risk, as the dog's was.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets